Parmigiani

Parmigiani
Take me to the Parmigiani blog!

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Closer look at Leica S2, Summarit-S 120 and Kari Voutilainen Vingt-8

Sample photographs with the Leica S2 and APO MACRO SUMMARIT-S 1:2,5/120 mm: Kari Voutilainen Vingt-8.

Following up on last Friday's remarks using DeBethune's remarkable DB25T as an example, today's post I use the same combination on the Voutilainen Vingt8 (28). Also photographed in L'Atelier by The Hour Glass using my usual set-up.

I have featured the Vingt-8 before. As I described earlier, this is a magnificent watch.

As mentioned in Tuesday's post, the APO MACRO SUMMARIT-S 1:2,5/120 mm only does images to half size. However the sensor size is very large (almost the same size as the one in my regular Hasselblad H3d-39), and for web use, there is plenty of room for crop. Here are some cropped images.

The establishment shot...showing the whole back of the movement. This is a cropped image.

Click on the images for a 1920 wide desktop wallpaper image.

The movement is designed and manufactured by Kari Voutilainen...a Finnish watchmaker who has made his home in Motiers...a little village just a few minutes away from Fleurier in the Swiss Jura.

Note the amount of detail captured by the Leica. I also loved the way contrasts are rendered. And the colour is almost perfect out of the box. These images are jpegs straight out of the camera, stacked using Helicon Focus, and minor adjustments and cropping made in Photoshop CS4.

Also note the magnificent balance bridge, like old timers used to do for tourbillons. I would have preferred a tapered rounded bridge like those used in Lange's Pour le Merite Tourbillons, but Kari's example is very nice as well. Next week, I explore the Leica S2 in interiors, when I shoot with Chris Lee at MalMaison by The Hour Glass.

No comments: